Since it is National Talk Like a Pirate Day, I thought I would be amiss if I didn’t acknowledge this auspicious occasion with a little holiday fare! So get yer scurvy arses up on the main mast and trim dem sails!
Six Pence Peg Legs with Harr-Varr-Tee
Serves 4 to 6
1 Pack (12) Chicken Legs
2 Cups Sliced Button Mushrooms
2 Cups Green Chilies or Banana Peppers – Chopped
6 Ounces Havarti Cheese – Grated
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Thyme
1 Teaspoon Oregano
1 Tablespoon Dill
1 Clove Garlic – Minced
1 Tablespoon Butter
1/4 Cup White Wine
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon each Salt & Pepper
1 13x9x2 Pyrex Baking Dish
1 Zipper Freezer Bag
1 Medium Saute Pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Take a fork and jab holes in the legs every 1/4 Inch or so
- Place the chicken in the zipper bag with the dill, white wine, 1/2 the oil,Worcestershire Sauce, salt & pepper and marinate for 30 minutes
- On medium high heat, place the saute pan with the other 1/2 of oil, peppers,thyme, oregano, and garlic, and sweat them down until tender
- Place chicken in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish – retain the marinade
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes, or until the juices run clear.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat, pour in the marinade and bring to a boil.
- Add the mushrooms. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until mushrooms are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oven.
- Spoon the chili mixture over the legs
- Add the mushrooms to the top and cover with grated Havarti cheese
- Place baking dish back in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melty and bubbling
(Of Note – actually the recipe works best with chicken thighs or Cornish Rock Hens split in half. You really want to mushrooms and peppers to mound up on the meat… I just couldn’t help myself!)