Hot and Sweet.. that’s the way I like it.
A simple lush pepper bisque is just the ticket to showcase these beautiful peppers I picked up the other day.
I paired it up with a little crunch from some Crispy Cornmeal Crusted Okra.
Nothing says summer like okra and peppers.
Hungarian Pepper Bisque
6 Sweet Hungarian Peppers – Seeded and Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic – Whole
1 Cup Grape (or Cherry) Tomatoes – Whole
1 Cup Chicken Stock
1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
1 Cup Tomato Juice
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Salt
Black Pepper to Taste (Even sweet, Hungarian peppers carry a fair amount of heat, test the soup before you add the pepper)
1 Large Sauce Pan with Lid
Large Screen Strainer
Fried Okra Croutons (Get Clara’s Fried Okra Recipe Here)
- With the sauce pan on medium heat, add the oil, peppers and garlic, stir well to mix with the oil
- Saute until the peppers begin to soften (about 4 minutes)
- Add the tomatoes, cover and cook for 5 more minutes – until the tomatoes begin to break down
- Add the tomato juice, stock and salt – cover and reduce the heat to low
- Cook for 15 minutes – or until the peppers are completely soft
- Remove the top, add the vinegar and put the immersion blender to it
- Puree until smooth and add the sugar
- Continue to heat until the soup reduces a little – you want it thicker, but not pasty
- Pass the soup through the strainer to remove any remaining tomato seeds and skin
- Serve immediately with a handful of crispy okra on top for croutons
Makes an incredible first course or a great savory light dinner.