Overheard at a small laboratory in Anaheim…
“Sherman, my boy…”
“Yes, creepy smarty dog with no pants?”
“Kick the Way Back Machine to 1967, I’m jonzin’ for some Cream of Mushroom Soup!”
“But Mr. Peabody… you’re lactose intolerant.”
“Right you are, Boy. We’ll just have to make it ourselves. Go snag a couple of beakers from those idiot rats…”
The truth is… I’ve been jonzin’ for some canned Cream of Mushroom soup. But, having a lactose intolerant family member in the house, I just don’t buy it. It’s too big of a temptation to toss it in something when you need that little extra mushroom-y creaminess.
But – with the cooler weather starting, I was really starting to get that craving.
Cream of Portabella Soup
Makes 2 Bowls
2 Medium Portabella Caps – Diced
3 Shallots – Minced
2 Cups Lactose Free Milk
1 Cup Chicken (or Vegetable) Stock
1 Tablespoon Cream Sherry
2 (to 3) Tablespoons Tapioca Starch
1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
Black Pepper to taste
1 Teaspoon Parsley – Minced
2 Tablespoons Pecan (or Olive) Oil
Medium Sauce Pan
- On Medium high heat, saute the mushrooms, shallots, salt and pecan oil until the mushrooms have released all the liquids and shrunken – about 5 minutes
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the milk and stock and Reduce by 1/3
- Add the sherry, parsley and pepper
- Mix the starch with a little water to make a slurry and pour into the soup base whisking constantly
- Continue to whisk over heat until the soup reaches the desired consistency.
Note: The other chef in the house wasn’t all that thrilled with the thickness and thought it was a little thin. Sprinkling 2 Tablespoons of AP Flour into the mushrooms when they are finished sauteing will add back some of the thickness you’re missing with the lack of cream. If you are Gluten Intolerant – you can double the amount of tapioca starch to thicken the soup up.
Now…. for the Giveaway!
The nice folks at Back to the Roots sent me one of their Oyster Mushroom Kits. I thought since we’re in the mushroom mode today, I’d give it away to one lucky reader.
To enter to win:
1. Comment on this post about why you deserve this kit, or comment about the soup recipe, or brag about your kids… that’s it. Just make sure you leave a way for me to contact you … if you win.
I’ll choose one winner from the comments at random on Friday, October 14, 2011 at 12 noon EST to receive the Oyster Mushroom Kit
And – We have a Winner!!
Chosen from the highly scientific method of picking a little balled up piece of paper out of a bowl.
The Back to the Roots Oyster Mushroom Kit goes to.. (drum roll….)
Rosemary! from Fishers, PA
Thanks for commenting !
Contest Note: Seeing how I’m sending you live fungi spores – I’ll have to keep the winner to US Residents, Only. I’m just not that comfortable sending anything live internationally.
And be sure to visit Back to the Roots at their website at: http://www.backtotheroots.com
106total visits,1visits today