Okay, its not That Royale … but there is cheese.
I’m still working my way through the Big Box O- Cheese from Artisanal Cheese That Ed gave me over the holidays. This time, I’m doing something with the Stella Royale that came in the box…. so cheese purists, look away.
To quote their webstore:
Stella is delicious with some sliced pears, roasted Brussels sprouts, or caramelized onions. I’ve decided to utilize two of those in a re-imagined southern favorite – Macaroni & Cheese.
If you aren’t familiar with it, my family has always made a custard based macaroni and cheese. The cheese is layered in separately with the noodles before the savory custard is introduced. Trust me, it’s way better than those creamy sauces, and the addition of the Stella?
…well… it’s Royale!
Mac & Cheese “Royale”
1 Cup Uncooked Macaroni
6 Ounces Stella Royale – Cut into 1/4″ slices
4 Brussels Sprouts – Sliced Thin
1 Spanish Onion – Peeled and Sliced
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Teaspoon Brown Sugar
3 Eggs Beaten
2 Cups Milk
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
Salt and Pepper to Taste
3 Quart Casserole Dish
Large Sauce Pan
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Cook the macaroni as per the instructions for “al dente” – drain
- Add the sliced onions, brown sugar and butter to a saute pan over medium heat
- Cook until the onions are soft and dark golden brown
- Slice the Brussels Sprouts
- Beat together the Eggs, Milk, Nutmeg, Salt and Pepper
- Spray the casserole dish and begin layering:
- Carefully pour the custard mixture into the dish, filling about 1/2″ above the top layer
- Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes. Time will differ on you particular oven temp. You want the center set but not rigid
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving
185total visits,2visits today